Sunday, December 9, 2018

Witness to a miracle

Miracles can and do happen, and I witnessed such an event a few weeks ago. My nephew had suddenly became very ill, vomiting and nausea. He was taken to the hospital by his roommate and admitted to the ICU. As it would turn out he was suffering from pancreatitis, which in turn caused acute kidney failure. The doctors said if he waited another day to go to the hospital, he probably wouldn't have made it. It was literally a life and death situation. Once stabilized they were able to take him out of ICU and put him in a hospital room. He had to be monitored carefully, and had to have dialysis since his kidneys were not functioning.

We were notified of his condition. A word of the Lord came to my dad to pray He (God) would jump start my nephew's kidneys. My mom thought this terminology was somewhat unusual, but nevertheless we began to pray for him. Note that nothing happened instantly. In my experience, more times than not, answers to pray are either gradual or happen at a later date. In the meantime we had heard from his mother. The doctor had said that if his kidneys had not jump started by now, they probably wouldn't. There's that word again, "jump start". Now, we didn't mention anything about what my dad had said, and yet the doctor used the same exact word. This would be a confirmation that we were on the right track.

Here comes an important lesson. In the natural it didn't look like there was much hope. The doctor had already said in effect that it didn't look his kidney's were going to function. The best case scenario is that he would be on dialysis for the rest of his life, and would have to go three times a week. For a time his vitals were getting worse. They had to remove fluid that had built up in his chest. He developed a fever and they had to take him back to the ICU because they thought it might be sepsis. They never would find out the cause of it. Now despite all of this we never quit praying. You can't look at how things look or what the doctor says. The doctor does not have the final word, God does. Perseverance is a big key in getting prayers answered.

The first time I went to see him he looked weak, but he still had his sense of humor. He was on a liquid diet since he was very dehydrated. When my brother, his father, had visited him he told him his kidneys were dead. He had gone past the point when his kidneys should have started to function. There were still many people praying for him. I myself prayed his kidneys would jump start, function on their own again, and that he would leave the hospital on his own two feet. And that is exactly what happened.

My parents had went to visit him again, but I was not with them. Imagine my surprise when my mother called me and told me his kidneys were 95% functioning and he would be leaving the hospital that day or the next day. I was taken aback in a good way. I had no doubt that it was a miracle. I don't know when the change happened exactly, but when it did happen it was suddenly. He would later comment to his dad that he didn't know what had happened, his vitals were bad and then suddenly they were good again.

I am sharing this story to encourage others. Healing is real, and miracles do happen. I am personally familiar with another family whose son was trapped underwater, and who showed signs of brain damage. They had to have that same fight of faith. Today their son is grown up and perfectly normal. So never never give up, never. No matter what it looks like. We go by faith, not by sight.